A medical office manager is one of the most important individuals in a healthcare facility. While medical professionals are busy caring for patients, office managers help optimize medical billing and insurance, supervising the staff of the practice, handling patient complaints, overseeing bookkeeping and finances, and more.
An organized, detail-oriented office manager with excellent time management and leadership skills is the key to keeping a medical practice running smoothly. To determine whether your office manager is helping to optimize medical billing, revenue cycle and ensuring that the medical facility is in tip-top shape, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is all of the insurance information for each patient gathered prior to the initial appointment?
- Are patient’s insurance cards checked and verified for eligibility during every visit?
- Is a full copayment collected for every patient at the time of service?
- Are all claims sent within 24 hours after each patient’s appointment? If an outside medical billing service is used, is there a way to confirm when charges are entered and claims are sent?
- In the event that a claim is denied, is the office manager and his or her staff able to quickly catch it?
- Is a payment report processed daily to verify that deposit totals for the day match the amount recorded?
- Are completed appointments that have a charge associated with them verified? This is especially important when the practice uses an EHR and a separate medical billing system.
- Is the amount of insurance payments that are received via EFT maximized? This must be measured to get EFTs to a certain percentage of insurance payments.
- Are denials handled in a timely manner? Many practices who do not take care of their denials quickly have a tough time catching up once they start falling behind.
- If you did not answer ‘yes” to all of these questions, you should consider hiring an outside service to help you manage your practice’s medical billing cycle and maximize your revenue stream. At Applied Medical
- Systems, we can help your healthcare practice improve its efficiency and effectively manage revenue cycles.
By partnering with us, you can help prevent common mistakes office managers make in revenue cycle management and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing your practice is reaching its highest potential. For more information on how Applied Medical Systems can optimize your medical billing, support or alleviate your office manager’s difficult responsibilities, contact us today.