As a physician, you may have a medical billing specialist in-house or you may have outsourced your billing services to a reputable company, such as Applied Medical Systems (AMS). Regardless of where your billing is housed, working with an exceptional medical billing specialist is extremely important. Billing is a crucial part of your business, and having the wrong type of person driving the bus, so to say, could leave you stuck in traffic, or worse, going off a cliff.
Choosing the Right Person for the Job
At AMS, we only employ the most highly trained and reputable medical billing specialists. In fact, all of our specialists possess all 5 of the qualities below that are associated with great medical billing specialists. The characteristics are as follows:
- Great Attention to Detail: One little mistake and a claim could be denied. For this reason, attention to detail is a crucial characteristic in being a successful medical biller. Additionally, when a claim is denied, often research is needed to uncover the reason behind the denial. This is another area where great attention to detail comes in handy.
- Organized: Being a medical billing specialist is tough work. In a day’s time they can have mounds of documents crossing ther desk. This is why organization is key. Keeping track of all the claims and ensuring payment within the designated time frame is uber important. If the medical billing specialist is out of the office and a fill in is needed, being able to locate documents will help to ensure the process runs smoothly in their absence.
- Personable: Medical billing specialists have to deal with a variety of different folks, from doctors, to insurance companies, to patients. This means they need to have the personality for the job. Being relatable and personable is par for the course. Especially when dealing with unhappy patients.
- Integrity: When patient information is involved, discretion is of the utmost importance. That is why employing trustworthy medical billing specialists is critical. The last thing your practice needs is a HIPAA violation, resulting in a fine or worse.
- Analytical: To an outsider, it may be difficult to see that there are many analytical aspects to medical billing. However, to succeed in working with numbers and money, it takes a special person with a strong set of these skills.
If you are working with a medical billing specialist who does not encompass all characteristics above, it may be time to explore other options, such as AMS. When you chose to work with a company such as AMS, you can rest easy knowing that your medical billing specialist is the right person for the job.